We are looking for a Clinical Pharmacist for the Pharmacy
Department at Queen of the Valley Medical Center.
Location: Napa, CA
Work Schedule: On call/Per diem
Shift: 10 hour, Days (Variable)
Under minimal supervision, prepares and dispenses medication
orders per prescriber request according to established policies,
procedures and protocols. Ensures safe, appropriate and cost
effective medication therapies for patients. Provides drug
information, consults, and cost analysis as requested. Participates
in ongoing clinical and quality initiatives.
- Interprets medication orders (verbal, written, and electronic)
and transcribes to computerized patient medication profiles
accurately as needed. Maintains accurate, complete patient
- Accurately compounds and dispenses pharmaceuticals, including
sterile, chemotherapy and parenteral nutrition products.
- Monitors drug therapy regimens for contraindications, drug-drug
interactions, drug-food interactions, allergies, duplicate
therapies, and appropriateness of drug and dose.
- Provides pharmacokinetic consults and drug dosing per
organizational protocol. Provides clinical consultation and
clarification to practitioners. Suggests appropriate,
cost-effective therapeutic alternatives as needed. Converts
patients according to protocol from intravenous to oral dosage
forms. Documents all clinical activities and interventions
accurately and completely.
- Sustains Formulary by minimizing Non-Formulary procurement,
utilizing therapeutic substitution protocols and promoting rational
drug therapy selection.
- Participates in the ongoing DUE studies and clinical activities
of the Medical Center, including reviewing and accurately
interpreting laboratory and patient data and recommending changes
as per protocols. Fully and accurately documents required data for
DUE studies and clinical activities.
- Participates in the performance improvement activities of the
department. Collects data, conducts quality monitors and
inspections, maintains logs, records and other documentation as
- Supervises, instructs and directs pharmacy support staff and
pharmacy students including designating duties and checking
products set-up or prepared by Pharmacy Technicians prior to
- Completes and documents inspections of all assigned medication
storage at least once a month. Identifies and replaces outdated and
- Has access to and administers and/or handles medications
according to this position's license or certification standards and
Medical Center policy.
- Knowledge of:
- Institutional Pharmacy Practice.
- Drugs, parenteral solutions and delivery systems.
- Human physiology and pharmacology.
- Drug interactions and incompatibilities.
- Current law and regulation relating to hospital pharmacy
- Aseptic compounding of extemporaneous sterile and non-sterile
- Pharmacy reference materials, written and computerized.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to plan, organize and execute daily work functions and
Minimum Position Qualifications:
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Pharmacy or PharmD
License/Certification: Current California Registered Pharmacist
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education: Coursework/Training - Completion of a clinical
Experience: 2 years of Hospital pharmacy experience.
For 50 years, Queen of the Valley Medical Center has been the
premiere medical facility in the Napa Valley. Our long history of
providing high quality and caring service is founded on four core
values: Compassion, Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Integrity.
These central principles inspire us to reach out to those in need
and to help heal the whole person-mind, body and spirit.
Queen of the Valley Medical Center combines the region's most
qualified physicians and staff with the most advanced technology
available. Because we have such high standards of care, our
programs have been recognized regionally and nationally for their
demonstrated success of outcome and care which is par with
Queen of the Valley Medical Center provides equal employment
opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements,
Queen of the Valley Medical Center complies with applicable state
and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every
location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies
to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting,
hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall,
transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as "on call/per diem" refers to employment
consisting of shifts scheduled on as "as needed basis" to fill in
for staff vacancies.